Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving! Happy Anniversary!


Thanksgiving is almost here -- and with it, the turkey, stuffing, pies and all the rest. I feel like I need to loosen my belt just thinking about it! I find it rather interesting how all of our holidays have come to be synonymous with food -- Christmas cookies, Easter eggs, Valentine's Day chocolates, and of course, the most famous of all, the Thanksgiving turkey. (Although I won't be partaking of said turkey since I'm a vegetarian. Instead, I'll be sticking close to the stuffing!)

And yet despite the emphasis on food, it is my hope and prayer that as these holidays come and go, we won't miss their true meaning. For isn't the good news of Christmas and Easter sweeter than any cookie and more beautiful than any Easter egg? Isn't love richer and more satisfying than any Valentine's Day chocolates? Isn't the idea of giving thanks, of being thankful, something we should make room for just as much as we make room for our generous helpings of food tomorrow?

Our is a culture of abundance and fullness, busyness and constant activity. Oftentimes, it is hard to make space to stop and give thanks. But this is what we must do. This is what I know I must do -- otherwise I will be constantly looking ahead at what I still want to accomplish, that which still eludes me, instead of living gratefully and contentedly in the knowledge of all that I already possess. Ralph Blum said: "There is a calmness to a life lived in Gratitude, a quiet joy." I couldn't agree more.

This year I have so much to give thanks for. I could be here for hours boring you all with my list, but instead I will focus on one thing to share with you. Tomorrow, in addition to the traditional Thanksgiving celebration, I will celebrate four years of marriage to my wonderful husband, Estith. I am grateful for every moment that the good Lord has given me by his side. And no mere words can express the gratitude that I feel at having him as part of my life.

Johannes A. Gaertner said: "To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven." That's what I want to do -- touch heaven. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment