Friday, January 4, 2013

Blogging My Book: A New Venture in 2013!

Well, it's been over a year since I posted something to this blog. But my goal is to change that this year and also to try something different in the process. In the latter part of 2012, I happened across the idea of blogging a book. Basically this means posting sections of a book you are working on at regular intervals. The advantage is that you can get feedback right away from readers. This feedback can be used to gauge how best to improve upon the work, and I love the idea.

Recently I came across a manuscript that I wrote a few years ago. It was gathering dust in the recesses of my computer files, and after reading a few pages, I decided that I would like to bring it into the light once again. But I'm not sure that I have it in me right now to do all of the editing necessary to make it a complete manuscript.

My life has taken on a super-busy speed with tons of worthwhile projects competing for my attention, and frankly, the thought of spending lots of hours editing this manuscript never knowing if it will go to print is daunting and overwhelming and not that attractive to me. UNLESS I can share it as I go. UNLESS I can get feedback (both good and bad!) from people willing to take the journey with me. UNLESS I can discover through the process if it's resonating with others. And if it is how. And if it's not, why it isn't.

And so, I invite you on this journey into blogging my book. I need your comments, thoughts and feedback. I need your constructive criticism and your accountability (if I don't post when I'm supposed to, please call me on it!). I need you to share this with others who could join and contribute to the conversation, creating a community of diverse readers whose viewpoints will be invaluable to me.

Okay, so here's the plan:

* I will post at least once per week.
* I will try to eventually find a consistency with posting dates (ie; always posting on Fridays) so you know when to expect new content. But if possible I do encourage you to subscribe so that you'll receive a notification when a new post is added.
* I will do my best to engage as many reader comments as I can, and I encourage readers to engage with other reader's comments as well.

To all of you joining me on the journey, thank you so much! My next post will be the introduction of my work-in-progress which is currently titled Intersection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment