Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Illustrator Assigned!!

I'm very excited to announce that an illustrator has been assigned to my book, Lily and the City of Light. This means that publication is getting closer! A concept drawing of Lily has been done, and it was exciting seeing the author's rendering of the character. I can't wait to see what he does with the rest of the book. As artwork becomes available I will post it to this site.

In the meantime, I am not working on any new books at the moment but have been working on a full-length play about Abu Bhakar, a refugee from Sierra Leone who strikes up an unlikely friendship with, Virginia, a government agency employee in Madrid, Spain where he is struggling to get permanent legal status. The play explores how the unlikely friendship affects them both. The story is close to me because Abu Bhakar is a real person whom I met while living in Spain and whose story deeply moved me. I also know firsthand the pitfalls, frustrations, and seemingly never-ending ordeal of dealing with government immigration agencies after working to get a visa for my husband to come from Colombia. This play is in the works but has had to be on the back burner for awhile because of my acting projects and my efforts to gear up for the 2010 Library Summer Reading Program.

However, I have managed to write a fair amount of short sketches and monologues over the past few months which I hope to begin performing at my church in the near future. I'd love to post some of there here in case others would be interested in using them as well. In the meantime, if you have any script needs, feel free to contact me as I may have something you can use and am always happy to get my work from off of the page and onto the stage!

No comments:

Post a Comment